Monday, September 17, 2007

The Joys of Kickball

So I joined a kickball league. I joined this league many weeks ago and can't remember if I've told any of you about this but I'll just repeat: I joined a kickball league.

Why did I join this league? For various reasons. I know the captain of the team and he was worried he wouldn't have enough players so he emailed me one night asking that I join right away (that night) or else I'd miss the deadline. Under duress and feeling bad he wouldn't have enough players I did. The other was that I thought it would be an opportunity to meet new people. And I also got a free t-shirt.

With those reasons out of the way we had our first scrimmage a week ago and I was too lazy to blog about it at the time but it was fun and I did meet new people and I also helped our captain narrowly avoid stepping on a used needle in the park. You read that right; He almost stepped on a used needle. In a park. In L.A. Go figure.

I hadn't played kickball since, like, eighth grade and it wasn't as easy as I'd remembered. Then again, I didn't have a P.E. coach gently rolling the balls straight at me. These people take their kickball seriously. There are rules and people skinning their knees and cleats. A good portion of players have bought cleats! Those are the people who play year after year I'm guessing. I will not be one of those people so I see no need to buy cleats.

Our team is doing well thus far, right now we're 1-0, and it feels good to be undefeated. I got to kick once, and while I kicked well it was caught in the outfield, so right now I suck at kicking. I never had to catch a ball, so I never missed a ball, so right now I'm awesome in that regard. But I do have something to show for my effort: the front of my ankle is swollen and if I'm lucky it'll turn blue or even purple! There's nothing like an injury to show how hard you tried to kick it. Or the fact that you almost completely missed the ball when it bounced and it connected with your ankle instead of your foot. Either way sports injuries are cool.


No comments: