Monday, October 8, 2007

Another Spec Finished

There is something both satisfying and terrifying about writing your own, original material. If people don't like it then you have no one to blame but yourself.

I prefer to write my own material, however there is comfort in being able to blame at least a little bit of the suckiness on someone else. I shall explain for those uninitiatied in the TV business.

As a writer you can write your own material, written on "speculation" aka a "spec" that shows your unique (hopefully) voice or you can choose to do a "spec" of an already existing show, preferably a show you actually, you know, like. If you don't like the show, or aren't to familiar with it then it'll show.

What gets you off the hook on writing a spec on an already existing show is that it's not "your" voice but that of the showrunner/creator of the show you're specking. So technically it's not "you". Not that that gives you cart blanch to go poopy on paper, not in the least. What it does i show that you can mimic the showrunner's voice and thus be able to work in a writer's room, preferably on staff.

Don't get me wrong, it feels great to finish a piece of writing, whether for myself or as a spec of another show, and I'll probably be returning to the specking world of TV shows as soon as I know whether or not the show I want to spec is actually going to get picked up for a full season, but there is that extra bit of satisfaction in knowing that I've created something that came totally from my head.

Let's just hope it's good.

No comments: