Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Reconsidering...

So, a few days ago I alerted my readers that I would be taking down my blog. However, I am no reconsidering this. Why? Call me shameless, call me superficial, call me a whore for attention, hell, call me Jay-Z (or 50-Cent) but I discovered that I now have THREE readers instead of only two (as I discovered in the comments). That warmed my heart.

What also made me reconsider was that I had another kickball game last Monday and through that I discovered that I do indeed still have something to say on this blog. And also the fact that I will miss posting videos of the day when I find them.

So, I'm going to keep on keepin on, and today, my dear three readers, you will get a video, and me recanting the tale of how I became the goat of my kickball team:), first up, the kickball:

So, my team has had three games thus far and we've lost two. I've been told that's not to bad for a rookie team. We came close to winning our last one, however a lot of our players made simple mistakes, one of which (made not by me) cost us two runs when we were ahead by one.

Now, for those of you who don't play in a kickball league, there are only five innings and that's all you play regardless of whether or not the home team is winning. This is got to be the only sport that ends in a tie and is happy to do it. It's down to the fifth inning and we're down by three (5-2) and there are two outs. I'm figuring that someone is going to get out before me and seeing as I've been kicking for shit (it's not your P.E. kickball, these pitchers take their shit seriously and give you all kinds of funky "pitches") I'm hoping I'm not going to have to be the last out.

That hope was for naught as the kicker before me actually did well and brought in two runs. So now we're one away from at least a tie and it's up to me. You can imagine the string of curse words going through my head as I walk to the plate. I figure it's best if I just "bunt" the ball, bunting kin kick ball meaning you just let the ball tap against your shoe and roll off. As long as it goes past home plate you're all good. So the ball comes to me and instead of kicking the shit out of it (which I probably should have done in 20/20 hindsight) I tapped it against the front of my shoe.

The bunt was good. A bit too good. It rolled off my foot and I took off running for my life, however the pitcher was able to get to it in time and throw me out.

Which was our last out and we lost the game.

And that, boys and girls, is how I came to be the goat of my kickball team.*


*even though the other players were totally cool
with it, and I wasn't the only one who made
mistakes I still felt crappy. We went to a sports
bar afterwards and I made up for it by buying the
table a cheap pitcher of beer.

No comments: