Thursday, July 26, 2007

Getting Over Nerves

My dad gave me a good tip on how to get over nerves when you're speaking: Have something in your hand to distract you.

Normally I'm a very good public speaker, have no problem with it. But lately I've been getting nervous pitching out ideas 'cause I'm pitching them in front of the Big Boss.

All through this week I'd been fine pitching to everyone else, however today the opportunity came for me to speak up and I did and I could feel the tension in my stomach build. I knew it was only a matter of time before my voice broke so I grabbed a dry erase marker like my life depended on it and spoke to it, occasionally making eye contact with him and then going back to the marker to make it look like I was Deep In Thought.

It worked. It totally worked. Thanks dad.

*One day till Comic-Con!

1 comment:

Mike said...

My advice on public speaking is to have a cup of coffee with a shot of whiskey in it. Not enough to get drunk, but enough to soothe the nerves a bit. If nothing else, you'll feel much more confident that you know stuff the audience doesn't. After all, they don't know you're drinking coffee with whiskey in it!