Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Point Is, I tried.

I am the new guy at my job. I get that. I understand it and to some point I embrace it. However, my ambition, like a hyper active dog on a leash, wants to push past that and escape into a better plain, i.e. a job promotion. Working on a show you get a chance every new season to get said promotion and my promotion is dependent upon my participation, like when you're in college and the professor makes class participation part of your grade. You might not necessarily have anything to say, but damn it, you'd better think of something if you want that 10 percent.

I'm finding it very hard to participate, even though I keep trying. I have to remind myself that I am the new guy and it's not really expected of me to jump in with brilliant ideas at every opportunity. But I want to. I really want to so they'll know I'm an asset and they'll want to 1) keep me and 2) promote me.

The point is is that I'm trying, mostly I'll toss out an idea and get a "That's interesting," but usually that will lead to my boss(es) thinking on it and then going with something else. My problem is that I haven't come up with an idea that anyone has stuck with, which makes me worry. Then again, I haven't been here the whole time either, so can I really be expected to come up with awesome ideas on the spot?

The point is though, I'm trying.

No comments: