Monday, July 16, 2007

Routine

More than likely when you have a job you have a routine. Whether or not your job is during the day or at night there is some established president that you follow every day that you find yourself working, the weekend being the time you can sleep through the ritual.

I must say I have a routine to which I have become accustomed and when that routine is interrupted I don't enjoy it.

I usually set my alarm for 7:50, giving me that jolt I need to wake up so that I may get up, walk to my alarm clock ill conceivedly placed across the room and snap it off, turning on the radio. I then walk back to my bed, lay down and proceed to fall in and out of sleep for the next thirty minutes. at 8:30 I realize that I've been sleeping, thanks to my trusty cell phone alarm, and then I pull my ass out of bed. I walk to the bathroom, do my business and then wash my face and brush my teeth, etc. until I'm dressed and ready for work. I then grab a chocolate Protein enhanced Ensure and grab my gear and head down to my car, where I then take off to work, to arrive there 15 minutes later (usually).

Today, however, was different as I had a doctor's appointment that could not be put off until a later time. Even though my morning routine was almost the same (I actually had to get up at 7:30 am) and the home routine was pretty much the same, it felt wrong once it came time to direct the car to it's destination. Instead of going right I had to turn left and it just felt odd.

Plus, even though there was no work to be done this morning I came in an hour after my usual time of getting in to work. My backpack was in my trunk instead of right next to me and when I pulled up to the gate I had to get out and get it so that they'd let me onto the lot. I did end up getting a parking spot right on the second level, instead of the fourth level or even the roof like most times so I guess there is something to be said for breaking routine.

No comments: