Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Work Ethic

I have no misconceptions that I, for the most part, am a desk jockey. While I might not sit at a desk all day (the other half of the day is behind a table) I do spend a majority of my time on my keaster typing out things, whether for myself of my bosses.

However, despite that obvious fact, at the end of the day I find myself in a surprising state: tired.

I feel I have no right to be tired, as technically, I have put forth no real physical effort. I sit. And I type. Occasionally (when I'm not a nervous wreck for no damn reason) I speak. And I get fed so I don't have to forage for my own food. For eight hours a day one could say that I really do nothing. So what's with the being tired?

Though it's not doing something productive like, say, being a doctor, or teaching, anyone who's a desk jockey in a cubicle can understand that you don't always have to be working from lack of sleep or trying to teach the next generation, or hell, working in a coal mine, in order to be tired. As a matter of fact, the very act of sitting all day can be tiring, especially after you've eaten lunch.

We'll eat around 12 or 1pm and then by 4 I'm reeling from my lack of a nap. Top that off with me dragging (nay, kicking) my ass to the gym and by the time I get home I'm exhausted.

So what is it about sitting all day that makes one tired? I pose this question to my fellow desk jockeys, commence to answering!

(Three Days Till Comic-Con!)

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I don't find any correlation between physical activity and level of exhaustion... Just about the most draining thing for me is having to sit in a meeting. I'd much rather shovel a driveway.

Anonymous said...

I think the level of exhaustion I experience is trying to defend my soul all day. Then at the end of the day it's like "Whew!" I cram what's left of the shredded cheescloth that was a complete soul when I got here, shove it back in my spleen where it belongs, then commute 50 minutes home. Then i'm worn out. I don't know if you've ever shoved something back in your spleen but you can go about it two ways. Neither of which are pleasant.