Sunday, March 9, 2008

Not Down With the Neeley's

In my older age I'm becoming a Food Network addict. I say "in my older age" as a joke because over Christmas break my mom was surprised as hell to find out I enjoyed watching things like Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, and Iron Chef America. Even though she enjoyed watching it with me. She asked me if I was "old" because she thought only old people watched Food Network. Well, I set her straight on that one!

Over Christmas break I saw the ads for Food Networks new shows, one of which was Down Home With the Neeley's, a show about a black couple from Memphis who own several bar-b-que restaurants. I was happy to see a little diversity added to Food Networks line up, even more so because it was southern style bar-b-que cooking and I love to bar-b-que, even if it's only in my tiny kitchen.

Since the Neeley show was on at 11 am on Saturday morning I set my DVR to record it because there's no way in hell I'm up that early and even if I am it probably means I'm doing some kind of extracurricular work. I watch the show but I have to say I'm slightly disappointed. Not by the recipes, aside from the pork (which I don't eat unless it's bacon strips accompanied by pancakes) they've been good. What irks the hell out of me is the Neeley's themselves. This is a couples show, where both of them are cooking together and it's so saccharine I feel my teeth rotting out as I watch. Not only that, but they're always flirting with each other and I can't help but feel it's incredibly fake for the camera. You love each other, we get it. You want to jump each others bones over the cornish hens and creamed collard greens, we get it. He's always taking some of your "sugah," WE GET IT.

Now STOP IT.

Not only that, but they let the double entendres fly and I don't want to think about him buttering her ham while I'm watching them prepare food. It kills the mood, so to speak.

Not that the Neeley's are the only TV cooks I have a problem with. I can't really watch Paula Dean anymore because her liberal use of "y'all" makes me want to hurt her and anyone in the vicinity.

I still watch some of the Neeley show, but now if there's nothing I'm interested in I'll skip it, or if there is I'll go to food network's website and add the recipe to my recipe box (yes, I have an account at foodnetork.com). While it's nice that they are becoming more diverse, I just hope the next time food network picks someone less annoying.

9 comments:

whiszkey said...

I think down homw with the Neely's is great the world need to see more love no matter what field it is in so don't hate

DeeG said...

Don't hate appreciate. It's nice to see a couple show love for what they do and each other.

denis said...

I watched the show for the first time on Saturday and wished I had a man that would cook with me instead of waiting to be served. With both parents working and having stressful jobs, this is the perfect time to express your love for one each other and enjoy each others company. I think because so many people are in loveless relationships, they can't tell a good one when they see it!

Anonymous said...

I watch the show for the first time today. Being from Memphis, I was beaming with pride. Luv me some Neelys BBQ. Miss my pork BBQ now that I am in beef country(TEXAS). As for the interaction with host. In the south it so common to have husband and wife in the kitchen together. I can't wait for when I am married. This is 2008, and we need to see more affirming couples doing things together.

makeda queen said...

You sound like a person who have issues with LOVE. STOP HATING! If you don't like the signs of affection that the Neeleys display,change the channel. If you don't like Paula Deans vocabulary STOP WATCHING!I am sure no one will miss you watching the show.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Don't watch it if you don't like it. There are not to many couples today, that actually cook, and love on each other like they do. You know the routine most women cook while the man waits to be fed.

Can you say change the channel. I love it when they do that it shows pure love toward each other.

Donna M said...

It's a shame that you have a problem with a couple showing affection for their love of cooking and each other. Grab your significant other, if you have one, go into your kitchen and try both the recipes and the flirting.
You just might enjoy it!!! Don't hate what you don't have!!
I watch the NEELEY's for the SYNERGY, then the recipes. This show is wonderful! Don't change a thing.

TL Swank said...

This couple makes me glad I am divorced - she is a screamer and annoying and he is celatious and ignorant.