Friday, March 21, 2008

Point Break Live!

Those of you who know me from way back, that probably being only Lovey at this point, know that I have a mad, obsessive, almost inexplicable crush on Keanu Reeves. It's spanned a good portion of my life, and every second of my adolescence and teenage years. I've seen every film he's been in, going as far as to buy used VHS tapes of his earlier films, The Night Before, and Prince of Pennsylvania, true gems of cinema and totally worth the three dollars plus shipping and handling fees.

What brought me to this obsession with one of the finest, if not the best, actor of our generation? The film Point Break.

If you've seen Point Break, you need no explanation of its awesomeness. If you haven't, then I can only recommend that you rent it and experience the pure adrenaline rush that can only come from a film whose protagonist is named Johnny Utah and the antagonist Bhodi. I speak from experience when I say it's a life changing experience.

Which brings me to the fun I had this past weekend, partaking in what is quickly becoming a hot spot in Downtown L.A., called "Point Break Live!" It is what it says it is, a live rendition of the film Point Break. I was skeptical at first, but a few friends talked me into going and I must say, it was the most fun I've had all year and the most fun theater experience.

They have an actress playing director Kathryn Bigelow, and every performance she "auditions" people for the esteemed role of Johnny Utah. That's right, she picks them straight from the audience of the night and the fun multiplies from there. Once the "actor" is chosen, there's a P.A. (also an actress and the show's Johnny Utah stunt double) who has the Utah actor read from cue cards. This may sound bad, but I assure you it's not. I assure you it's a damn good time.

The stage is set up so that you're pretty much apart of the action whether you want to be or not. The actors playing the four presidents (if you don't know what I'm talking about then really, go see the film) run around in the audience stealing the fake money you get when you arrive. I was on my way to get another beer during one of these "heists" when one of them accosted me and made a kissy noise. It was weird and fun. At one point they also took out water guns and sprayed everyone down, which was fine since we'd been given cheap dollar ponchos to protect ourselves.

All around it was a good time, the bar is close to the stage and nothing enhances a good time like drinking! (unless you have a drinking problem, then that's not so fun) and it was relatively cheap fun in L.A. (tix only $20). Highly recoomended if you like theater (absurd or regular), surfing, movie spoofs, men in drag for no apparent reason, Keanu Reeves or fun.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Sorry, I'm absolutely fed up with the Keanu-bashing bullshit.


Kudos to you for seeing a joke in this, but all I see is Keanu struggling for the past 25 years working hard to be taken even a little bit seriously, while everyone else only concentrates on his less-than-great roles.
I don't want to be adding any more roadblocks in his path by seeing this.