Thursday, March 6, 2008

That Was Quick...

Be careful what you wish for. Then again, sometimes you get the things you were supposed to wish for but didn't have the courage.

That happened to me on my way home tonight, stuck in traffic on the 101. I was tired, burnt out and dreading the fact that I only had a few hours at home (a majority of which would have been spent sleeping) before I was back on the chopping block of boredom and anxiety that was my current temp job. And then I got a call from my coordinator. It seems that my services are no longer needed and I can't say I'm sorry to see it go.

I spent the first minute after receiving this news a little pissed, as I just bought an expensive dress (well, expensive for me) for a wedding later on this month and I needed to save money for that car. I had been planning on staying at this craptacular job until the end of the month but it seems fate has other plans for me. Right now those plans include drinking me a glass (or two) of wine and staying up past 11pm because now I don't have to get up at 6:45am.

I usually like to go by the campfire rule: leave things better than you found them, and I do pride myself on doing a good job but I think there was just no way to do that here. This company is relatively young but they've been around for seven years and are just now trying to get their administration department under control when people are used to doing things another way. I know this analogy is probably used way to much but this really was like trying to close the barn door after the horses got out.

Oh well. Now I don't have to cringe once the sun comes up and I don't have to dread getting out of bed. At least for now. While I enjoyed the money (what little there was) at least I get some piece of mind back. I realize that as much as we desperately need it, money isn't everything (so I say now, when I still have two more guaranteed paychecks coming to me) and when it's the only reason you're working (you know, as opposed to enjoying it) it can feel very empty and drain you, keeping you stuck in a job you hate. There comes a time where even prostitutes have to say no to money.

My friend called me to talk to me about it, after I'd texted her, and she told me I'd seemed very unhappy recently and she was happy that it was over. I didn't even realize that my unhappiness was spilling out that badly.Now it's over and I can celebrate, er, mourn, the loss of my hardly ever gainful employment. Cheers.

No comments: