Sunday, August 5, 2007

The War on Bugs

So I was at Comic-Con a weekend ago. I came back Sunday night and by Tuesday morning I noticed these little red welts that sprung up on my arm. I figured them for insect bites and they itched like hell. I changed my bed sheets but by Thursday I still had a new set of red bumps cropping up, this time on my legs.

My mother, god bless her, told me that I probably brought back bed bugs with me from the crappy hotel I stayed at (there were several problems with my first nights stay) and that I needed to wash my sheets in hot water, and probably all the clothes I'd worn as well.

I did her one better: I threw out both sets of sheets I'd used last week, sprayed down my futon mattress with a good dose of RAID, as well as spraying my favorite pillow and the big quilt I had. I then took my big quilt down to the laundry room and ignored the sign that said "Please don't wash big quilts" and shoved my big quilt into the washer. Even though my big quilt is multicolored I put the wash on "whites" to get that scalding hot water my sheets so desperately needed (and to also get the smell of RAID out of the quilt).

Did it work? I have no idea. New welts keep cropping up, to the point now where I'm going to mark them with clear nail polish to keep track of them. Some of the older ones are drying out I think but those little bug fuckers bit my nose and under my eye making it look like I had two bright red zits on my face. And that's what prompted my revenge via RAID.

I certainly hope it worked, 'cause i don't know what else to do beside rewash everything that came into contact w/anything I was wearing at Comic-Con and to get a new mattress, which I don't want to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh god, I've heard that bed bugs are horrible and very hard to get rid of. You might have to get pest control in there.

Rodimus Prime said...

I honestly think I got this at Comic-Con at my awful hotel stay because I'd never had a problem before this, so now the only thing that I'm worried about is that I brought the little fuckers back with me.