Monday, January 21, 2008

Job Update

So, I'm sure you've noticed that my interview was last week and I said I'd keep you updated but I wanted to wait a while and get my feelings on the matter in order.

I had a great interview. It went really well and they seemed to like me. But, there was that pink elephant in the room and this time it wasn't ignored. "So, realistically," one interviewer asked me. "How long would you be with us?"

It's a loaded question. On one hand they picked me because I had so much "experience" on my resume (read: I worked a lot of different jobs) but on the other they knew there was a strike going on. When I'd applied for the job I thought it would be some mindless receptionist work, answer a phone here, send out a memo there, get someone coffee yander. But, as it turns out, it wasn't that simple. They wanted me to be a part of their team. Really. It wasn't just bullshit they were spouting so that you didn't feel like the bitch of the office they seriously wanted me to be promoted in six months and what have you. Needless to say I was shocked.

Needless to say I can't do that. There's a good possibility that the strike will end before March 1st and if that happens there *might* be some kind of pilot season, which I'd been looking forward to taking another crack at. If that happens then I'd at least be there for 5-6 months. Or, if the show I was on got an early start on production I could be called back there even sooner, making my stay 2-3 months. One of the interviewers said they would hate to hire me and have me leave after two months and I politely smiled and reassured them in a roundabout way that that wouldn't happen.

To make a long and painful story short, it was in the interview that I realized I didn't want this job. It wasn't for me. I'm a writer who's had a modicum of success and I don't want to be in a job that could take that away from me for at most a whole year. I don't want to spend a year out of my life in a non-industry job, even though I know that's what I could end up doing with my temp work.

Speaking of which. I've decided that temping is probably what's best for me at this time. It offers me a clean way to up and quit any job I had at the time (seeing as I'd be replaced fairly easily) and it would offer me the means of going on interviews I'd need to for the industry jobs (unlike the non industry job, which would have me calling in sick quite often).

I have no idea if I've even gotten the non-industry job. I'm sure there will be better candidates for them that they're still interviewing and my hope is that I'm not offered the job, as opposed to me having to turn it down, which, given my situation I don't think I could do unless I had something else.

So, now what I'd like you to keep your fingers crossed for me is that I can land a good temp job. I've already got a good lead from a friend of a friend which I will be calling tomorrow so let's hope that goes well for me.

No comments: