Sunday, January 27, 2008

Temping, Day Two

I got called to a job on Friday as well, bringing my temping experience up to a total of two days. I got in a good seven hours, with one hour for lunch and these people were so nice they let me take a 15 minute break in the afternoon.

Again, it was everything I wanted a temp job to be: boring. I answered phones and the biggest thing I did was organize checks in numerical order and later I was asked to help put the clean dishes away. That's it. That's all I did for six hours of actual "work".

Later, at a mutual friend's birthday party, I discovered why I'd been called on that particular job. My coordinator was at the party and he told me he was happy I took the assignment because no one really likes to drive in the rain. That's right, there are jobless people who will turn down work because it means they'd have to drive in the rain. I stood there, slightly stunned, because it was something that never even occurred to me. I just got up and went.

Then again, I was not born and raised in Los Angeles, so I don't have their aversion to the wetness that falls from the sky.

No comments: