Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Me Versus Unemployment

As a few of you may or may not know, I am beginning my quest to find gainful employment in the new year, as the writer's strike seems to have no end in sight and even if it ends in the next three months, there will *probably* not be a big fall TV season.

Having to face that reality, I have begun trolling craigs listings, sending out my resume to various places that are in dire need of someone capable of answering a phone or typing an email, or doing any other kind of menial office work. Thus far, within the last four days I have sent out a total of 20 resumes, some accompanied by cover letters and salary histories and/or requests. The number of responses thus far? 0.

While it is still early in the game I fear that because the last two listings on my resume contain TV show employment then non-industry employers are less likely to take me seriously as anyone working in Los Angeles knows there's a strike going on and will figure that once it's over they may never see me again.

I will try to keep a daily journal of my "progress" on this job front, to keep you, dear readers, entertained and to keep a sense of humor about this myself, because it's kind of disheartening.

Any tips or advice is welcome.

No comments: