Sunday, February 10, 2008

Observation: Definitely, Maybe Not

While watching the Grammy's and keeping my tally (thus far, one black artist has thanked god), I saw a preview for the film Definitely, Maybe, starring the once uber muscled Ryan Reynolds as a dad telling his daughter the bedtime story of how he met her mother. The thing with this film is that the girl apparently doesn't know who her mother is, so it's her job to figure out which one of daddy's girlfriends is his baby momma out of three possible candidates.

What got me when I saw the trailer to this is why the fuck doesn't this kid know who her mother is? Unless you're abandoned at birth isn't that kind of hard? If the mom's died why are there no pictures? If the dad's getting a divorce, well, that's an obvious question. My friend and I went through various situations and all of them lead back to the kid should know who her momma is, unless the mom ran off after the birth and the dad was so upset he just never told her, which is a kind of assholish thing of him to do. The kid should know who her mom is is what I'm saying.

As I caught another preview for the film that thought popped in my mind again, and I thought it would have been more believable for a child to figure out who their father is, but immediately after I had that thought I realized how impossible a film like that would be to get made, because, while Ryan Reynolds can have a relationship with three different women at various times and could get one pregnant at any while not being with the other two, the reverse would basically be a mother telling her kid that she had sex with three dudes during the same time period. And that would make her a slut and we just can't have that. Ryan Reynold's being a slut is perfectly acceptable but as far as we've come we just can't have women having sexual relations with three different guys unless there's an acceptable space, like, say a year, between them.

I won't be seeing Definitely, Maybe for the answer to my question, but I'm sure someone will tell me how the writer designed it so the kid doesn't know who her mother is.

1 comment:

Kenny said...

It is confusing. From the full trailer, what I can glean is this: The girl knows who her mother is (though the mother is no longer around for some reason) inasmuch as she knows her mother's name, possibly appearance, etc. But she does not know what her mother did for a living or what she was like, how they met, etc. Ryan Reynolds tells the girl the story with fake names for all the girls so the girl has to guess which character is actually her mother. Of course, only we, not the girl, can see the girls Ryan Reynolds is talking about so she can't identify the mom based on appearance.

I think that's how it works. And it's possible that Ryan Reynolds isn't even banging all of them at the same time, just asking the daughter to guess which one he eventually will bang. But yeah, it's still dumb.