Thursday, February 21, 2008

Temporarily Permanent

Yesterday I began my first day of termporarily permanent work. I say that because it's an open ended assignment, so I don't know how long I'll be here but until that day comes I've got a job every day. Which is nice.

While I was used to doing the receptionist thing these past few weeks, this new job has me in an open cubicle, which is the first cubicle I've ever worked in. Somehow I'd managed to avoid the standard working setup of most Americans. I have a desk, a computer, a phone and a space to myself. I even have those electronic keys that open doors, and a parking garage card so I don't have to pay for parking. On one hand it's kinda cool, but on the other this isn't really the place I want to be working at for the rest of my life, if you catch my drift that I don't want to be working here for the rest of my life. Hell, I don't want to be working here for the rest of the month, and yet I very well may be working here for a few while until I can get a job in the industry I DO want to be working in and I don't know when that will be so I have to just stay put.

I'm happy my computer faces the wall so that I can do things like this, instead of, you know, actually working. However, it's not like I'm avoiding work. I'm sure at some point there will be a rush of things for me to do but I'm worried that there might not be and this company realize they didn't actually need that extra pair of hands after all. It's weird, I want to be useful so I don't go back to the day to day work, but I also enjoy getting paid to play Spider Solitaire. Ahh, the conflict of feelings.

No comments: